Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Good and the Bad

In the description for my blog, I mention that I'm going to write about my cooking experiences, both good and bad. Tonight, the bad experiences out-number the good.

This morning, while sipping my coffee and watching "Tyler's Ultimate," I noticed the show featured what looked to be a pretty interesting salmon en papillotte dish.

Here is the recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/the-ultimate-salmon-in-parchment-recipe/index.html

I'm usually pretty adept at cooking fish and have cooked it in parchment successfully a number of times, but tonight it was just not meant to be. I was under a time-crunch and things just didn't go well.

I ended up with:
  • half-cooked couscous because there wasn't enough liquid in the "envelope" or it wasn't sealed completely. That's what I get for trying a new method of folding.
  • stinging skin after I chopped the chili and then absent-mindedly touched face and I swear my fingers still have chili oil in them.
  • perfectly cooked salmon

So, while it wasn't what I planned, dinner ended up being one piece of salmon and an apple. I'm sure my figure will thank me for it but the foodie in me is so disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment